Thursday, July 07, 2011

 

Knitting Ups and Downs

Let's start with the knitting "ups". For the baby house orphanage in Kazakhstan I knit up this little baby set. The yarn is Lang Bebe 100% wool in a baby or fingering weight (as in super tiny).

First I started with the leggings. I was worried about having enough yarn so I made a little nordic type design and changed colors for the foot. Well, there was enough yarn left over for a little vest too! I hope this will keep some little kids warm. That's one of the benefits of knitting for the orphanage - the items will get worn by many different kids. As each one grows out of their clothes another baby comes along to wear it again.

Now, for the knitting "downs". The knit really hit the fan today. For the first time in my knitting life, I have knit a pair of socks in two different sizes. Yep. I really screwed this one up and of course I had a time deadline for it too as the pair was for a cruising friend who is leaving to travel up to the states. The sock is a rather tedious mini cabled design which hurts my hands to work. This is a lesson to ALL KNITTERS: Do NOT let your first sock sit in the knitting basket for 2 years before beginning the second, matching sock, or else they just might not match. Solution? I'm going to rip them BOTH out and knit this beautiful hand-painted wool sock yarn up in a simple stockinette stitch pair of socks.

Comments:
Oh, shoot! At least you can laugh about the socks.

The baby set is glorious. So glad you took precautions - it has that expensive designer look.
 
That is sooo cute! I can relate to the mistake and have have mentioned my own tiumphant disaster recently on my blog too.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?